Welcome to Creating Safe Spaces
Creating Safe Spaces is an essential foundation for building a welcoming church culture. The training covers legal responsibilities, WHS, risk management and strategies to address protection of children and vulnerable people.
Creating Safe Spaces Training
Creating Safe Spaces is offered across Baptist Churches in NSW and ACT but also in collaboration with Churches of Christ NSW and the Baptist Union of Victoria (BUV). Participants in Victoria should complete the Victorian version of Creating Safe Spaces which is hosted by BUV.
The Creating Safe Spaces material is constantly updated to reflect relevant legal changes. In addition, every three years we undertake a comprehensive redevelopment of the content and presentation. The most recent review was launched in March 2021.
Creating Safe Spaces training is helpful for anyone, but the Baptist Association strongly recommends that it is required for:
- pastors, elders, deacons and church council members
- SRE teachers
- anyone working with children or young people
- anyone working with vulnerable adults
The training comprises two parts:
- The online module: Including information on issues such as Duty of care, Definitions of Abuse, Reporting Obligations, Risk Management and embedded Safe Church Practices. The online module usually takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete.
For instructions to purchase and access the online module, please click on the “Login Instructions” button.
- The face-to face workshop: A presenter leads participants in group activities and discussion in order to apply give a deeper understanding of Safe Church ministry policy and practice.
To find a workshop running near you, please click on the “Find a Workshop” button where you will be able see and register for upcoming workshops.
We encourage all affiliated Baptist churches to host a workshop in your local church at least once every three years (if minimum numbers can be met). Please complete the webform on the “Host a Workshop” button to schedule a workshop at your church.
If you have any questions regarding Creating Safe Spaces training, please contact us via the “Contact Us” button.
The Creating Safe Spaces online module is now available in Chinese and Korean.